We are using small, solar-powered ultra-sonic devices anchored into the ground to chase away the moles at our study site Neustift, which are a real pest in particular in spring time. As you can see in the picture, it looks like that this year the moles have decided to strike back, taking revenge on an ultra-sonic device by burying it in a molehill. Looks like we need to consider other options to get rid of them …
Within the TeefürPUK project we have today hosted a class from the Reithmanngymnasium in order to introduce the pupils into leaf gas exchange. Georg discussed with the pupils the basics of leaf CO2 and water vapour exchange and in particular strategies of plants involved in the regulation of stomatal conductance. Then pupils could get a hands-on experience with the Decagon porometers measuring stomatal conductance on a reference group of plants, drought-stressed plants and plants kept in the dark (simulating nighttime). Finally, results obtained by the pupils were discussed and related to the importance of stomatal conductance in regulating the water cycle and near-surface climate and the implications of changing environmental conditions.
We had several contributions at the EGU meeting in Vienna 7-12 April 2013:
- Georg Wohlfahrt, Lukas Hörtnagl, Albin Hammerle, Damiano Gianelle, Barbara Marcola, Marta Galvagno, Edoardo Cremonese & Umberto Morra di Cella: Tradeoffs between global warming and day length on the vegetation carbon uptake period. Download
- Marta Galvagno, Georg Wohlfahrt, Edoardo Cremonese & Umberto Morra di Cella: On the role of advection for the net exchange of carbon dioxide at a subalpine grassland in complex terrain. Download
- Albin Hammerle, Perluigi Calanca, Matthias Themessl, Andreas Gobiet & Georg Wohlfahrt: Application of an efficient soil water content model in ecosystem modeling and scenario development. Download
- Matthias Peichl, Oliver Sonnentag, Georg Wohlfahrt, Lawrence B. Flanagan, Dennis D. Baldocchi, Gerard Kiely, Marta Galvagno, Damiano Gianelle, Barbara Marcolla, Casimiro Pio, Mirco Migliavacca, Michael B. Jones & Matthew Saunders: Convergence of potential net ecosystem production among contrasting C3 grasslands. Download
- Ines Bamberger, Lukas Hörtnagl, Armin Hansel & Georg Wohlfahrt: Gap-filling of VOC flux data for deriving annual budgets: Case study at a mountain meadow. Download
- Lukas Hoertnagl & Georg Wohlfahrt: Seasonal variability of CH4 and N2O fluxes over a managed temperate mountain grassland. Download
Galvagno M., Wohlfahrt G., Cremonese E., Rossini M., Colombo R., Filippa G., Julitta T., Manca G., Siniscalco C., Morra di Cella U., Migliavacca M. (2013) Phenology and carbon source/sink strength of a subalpine grassland in response to an exceptionally short snow season. Environmental Research Letters, in press. download
On 18th March Georg attended the kick-off meeting of the HiResAlp project at Bozen/Bolzano. The project is coordinated by the Applied Remote Sensing group at EURAC and will investigate the water cycle of mountain ecosystems using a combination of remote sensing (in particular based on radar) and modelling.